After months of living room lunges, backyard burpees, and milk jug curls in the kitchen, the moment we’ve all been waiting for is finally here.
GYMS ARE REOPENING!
And while we can’t tell you which ones are back up and running, we can help make sure your reunion runs as smoothly as possible. A lot has changed since your last visit to the gym and there are a few things you need to know before you go. Lucky for you, we did all the legwork and compiled a comprehensive guide to help you prepare for post-quarantine gym life.
WHAT TO DO BEFORE YOU GO
Call ahead to make sure you understand your gym’s new policies and procedures as well as what precautions they’re taking to keep you safe. Here are some important questions to ask before you go:
- Are you offering/requiring online reservations and check-in systems?
- How are you spacing out people and equipment?
- Are you limiting how many people can be in the gym at once?
- Is access to locker rooms limited?
- Are your employees wearing masks?
- Do you have disposable masks if I want one?
- What’s the ventilation like?
- How often are you disinfecting the equipment, and do you have disinfectant available for members to use?
WHAT TO DO WHILE YOU’RE THERE
Regardless of your gym’s rules, it’s always a good idea to use extra precaution when breaking a sweat in a public area. During your workout, use the following guidelines to keep you, and those around you, safe.
USE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND LIMIT PHYSICAL CONTACT
- Wear a cloth face covering at all times.
- Stay at least six feet away from other gym goers.
- Limit attendance at indoor group training sessions.
- Don’t shake hands, give high-fives, do elbow bumps, or touch others.
TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS WITH SHARED EQUIPMENT
- Wipe down machines and equipment with disinfecting wipes.
- Use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol before using machines.
- Do not share items that cannot be cleaned, sanitized, or disinfected between use, such as resistance bands and weightlifting belts.
WHAT TO DO ONCE YOU’RE HOME
Make sure what happens at the gym, stays at the gym. Use these guidelines to keep you and your loved ones safe once you’re home.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after you’ve finished your workout.
- Wash your clothes and face mask once you’re home.
- Disinfect your gym bag, shoes or any equipment you brought with you.